Our bodies are to be trusted.
We can trust what we feel in our bodies.
While we can trust our bodies, it is also true that unresolved trauma (both our own and our ancestors’) lives in our bodies and nervous systems. This means that not everything we feel in our bodies is rooted in and an effective response to the current moment.
We can become confused.
There are times, when unresolved trauma is activated, that our bodies will want to run away, to fight, to freeze, to fawn when, in truth, our lives are not in danger.
- discern when our bodies are responding to a perceived (vs actual) threat and how to
- return to feeling settled and at ease
…are crucial to being able to respond effectively in any given situation.
In short, ‘intensity’ does not always indicate ‘truth’.
When we have high levels of unresolved trauma in our bodies/lineages, it is easy to confuse the two and assume that, because our bodies are being activated into some form of fight, flight, fawn or freeze, that we are under attack and must, therefore, fight, fawn, freeze or flee.
However, even in situations like this, we can still trust our bodies.
Our bodies are giving us important information. They are telling us that something is happening (in either our external or internal environment) that feels threatening in some way.
Even if what we are experiencing is due to trauma being activated vs an actual threat, honoring what we are feeling is one path through.
Trusting our bodies in these situations is still important (even if what they are saying isn’t accurate to what is happening around us).
Listening to what they are telling us (which is generally some form of ‘I’m feeling really unsafe right now’) is one way to begin to unwind these patterns of trauma that lead to our bodies responding AS IF we are under threat when that isn’t actually what is happening.
In summary, as we journey into ancestral healing and greater embodiment, we:
- build awareness around how *our* bodies respond to both actual and perceived threat;
- begin to notice in real life when our nervous systems are activated into fight, flight, fawn, freeze;
- learn to recognize and discern when we are responding to perceived (vs actual) threat;
- practice and begin to use, in real life, skills that allow us to settle our bodies and anchor in our environment/the present moment (in what is happening in the moment); and
- deepen in trust of our bodies and the information they are constantly giving to us about ourselves and the world around us.
Again, our bodies can be trusted.
ps. skills that allow us to be with and transform the unresolved trauma in our bodies and lineages and that increase trust in our bodies are foundational in the Witchy Healer Wisdom School. If these are skills that could benefit you and your life, enrollment is open. <3